Sunday, July 19, 2009

citizenship

So in going through the process of changing my name, I was very happy to be informed by other newlyweds that you should hit the security office first. Good move. Next was the DMV to change my driver's license. I thought we had the correct documents. Marriage certificate, new social security card and previous driver's license. We fill out the paper work and are called to the window. He than asks if I have my birth certificate. What? Turns out, according to him, Utah doesn't check for US citizenship. Hello! that is new information. And being Arizona I can understand the concern with thier problems of immigration and all. However, Utah is a different story. As far as I knew I would check a box that said I was a legal US citizen. Apparently, not. So I had to ask my sister to send me a certified copy of my birth certificate. Now maybe I can get the ball rolling again so that bank accounts can be changed, car registration, and other important things. Note to all newly weds, start with the social security office first, make sure your state checks for US citizenship and have fun.

2 comments:

  1. Oh wow, sounds like a pain in the butt! Hopefully it gets all worked out! You don't look illegal to me!! You need to put up more wedding pictures!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ah, I am still in the joyful prossess of changing my name. SS is changed, and that is it. I can change my name when I get my new drivers license! YEAH!
    I sometimes get confused if I told them Ballard or Rounds. It really trips me out!

    ReplyDelete