Friday, July 31, 2009

travel channel

I love the travel channel. I like to watch a occasional Samantha Brown, lots of Anthony Bourdain and Andrew Zimmermn. They make it look easy, tasty, and entertaining. Now if only we had the money to follow their excursions. I find myself hesitant to travel to foreign places like southeast Asia or even south america. My taste in food is pretty basic and to dine in a foreign country just to try the food is a little scary. They are eating food sold on the streets and served from the most questionable kitchens (if that is what you want to call them). It is odvious that I have been brought up in sanitation and simplicity. I work in restaurants and I would never serve food from an open kitchen, with street smells, bugs, and people secretions buzzing all around. But there is also the problem that its hard for my stomach to take spicy foods. I am not a fan of the Hawaiian style of mango, pineapple, guava etc. mixes in food. And my husaband is a pork fanatic. So whats left our there for me to eat? I suppose I will have to settle with the kid classic, pasta and butter. I will never be able to follow these travelers in their culinary quests. I hope to at least see the sights.

3 comments:

  1. You don't like pineapple or mango? I love Pineapple! Guava..not so much! :). I also would love to travel the world..but don't know if I could stomach what these people eat. They eat some rather interesting choices of food :). No thanks! :). My dream is to go to Greece, England etc. :). I hope it becomes a reality one day!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm just like you. I hate to try new things and when I go to a restaraunt I always order the same thing because I know it's safe. I'm not one to try new foods easily. If you ever go to Mexico they have GREAT food. Egland is mostly just like here and France can be different but you can also find things that are familiar. Sometimes I would rather starve than eat something that is unfamiliar.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Carl and I could barley take your gormet good even if it tasted wonderful, was made in a sanitary kitchen, and made by professionals....this is way I don't travel. If I can't gormet food, I can't imagine what it would be like to try another countries food, especially with my picky eater man.

    ReplyDelete