Tuesday, April 21, 2009

what's in a name

So the conversation goes as follows

Why do you want to take my last name? (Jason)
Cause you'll be my husband and that's how its been for a long time (Erica)
But my name is so generic and boring, I don't like my last name (Jason)
It doesn't matter to me, I like it (Erica)
I don't even like my family, why would you want my last name (Jason)
But your name is good. You have good credit and you can anything with your name (Jason)
What does that have to do with having your name (Jason)
My name sucks (Jason)
We could try a combination (Erica)
Erica Rounds Smith, Erica Smith Rounds, Erica Smrounds (Jason)
Girls hyphenate there name all the time (Erica)
Maybe I should switch my last name to your last name (Jason)
Oh geez, We'll figure it out (Erica)

Erica Janet Smith. Nothing wrong with this name. Jason tends to be paranoid about past times and how they are attached to his name. No credit card, loan etc. is going to care that my last name is Smith. Millions of people have this last name. If I were to go into witness protection it would be hard for anyone to find me. Come on Jason chill out. With my credit or whatever else comes with me will help Jason too. I like the idea of being called Mr. and Mrs. Smith. All my life I have had to spell out my last name so people get it right. Now all I have to do is say Smith and I cut 3 seconds of time off. I don't want to be retarded and my kids tell people their parents have two last names. My kids will have one last name and so will I.

P.S. My fiance is cute like this.

4 comments:

  1. This is funny, because I have a neighbor here in Montana who didn't change her name when she got married so her last name is different from her husbands and all this does is cause a lot of confussion. Now she's pregnant and they plan on naming the baby after her last name rather than her husband's which, in my opinion, is simply going to cause even more confussion, especially for future generations. So tell your hubbie-to-be to settle down and deal with it ;) At least he has a good solid last name rather than some weird one like, Balls, Fagg, or Dick. I know someone with each of these names, so Smith is a perfectly normal, good name. Although, I have to say this post gave me a good laugh. HaHa

    ReplyDelete
  2. Smith is a great last name! :). Atleast it's a common name. Conroy is not a common name and anytime I run into one I am usually related to them! :).

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like Smith. You are Mr. and Mrs. Smith. What can be more sexy that that? My name is Ballard, talk about common...at least in Utah. So 3 million people in the US are named Smith, you can think of it this way, YOUR NUMBER ONE!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Jason is too funny! I can totally see him saying stuff like that too. I like Smith and there is nothing wrong with it!

    ReplyDelete